Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > GUI Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedCustom Icons and their physical location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Icons and their physical location
    Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:33am
I'm looking at making our own icons for the applications we're writing with AccuTerm - there are standard ones which every user should have by default, though we may want to have something more appropriate.

But the physical location of them is going to be a problem.

As far as I can tell they have to be on a drive, local or remote, or a web site.

The challenges this presents are:

Locally: if we want to make a change then we need to involve other departments, and I think everyone is aware of the difficulties that can cause.

On A Remote Drive: if there's a location that every user - not just the developers - has access to then this would be the way to go, but I don't think there is.

On A Web Site: this works fine for pictures - and the speed using images from our intranet is slightly faster than using images from a local drive (10 seconds to get it a hundred times, as opposed to 12). But it doesn't work for icons.

The ideal solution would be to have them stored on the multivalue platform - there could be a speed hit, but everyone would have access and they'd be under our department control. However that doesn't seem to be a possibility.

I've considered storing them on the web, and when a user logs in they're copied to a local drive, and other Heath Robinson schemes, but I'd rather have a simpler way of doing it.

Any suggestions? And that does include not using anything other than the standard AccuTerm supplied icons.
GeoffG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:25pm
Not sure that you can't store them on the MV platform. You can save them to the MV via FT using Binary transfer method and then when you need to use them, they can be installed via FT on the local machine. I haven't used .ico files but I have saved & distributed .bmp files on D3NT. If you're using QM, then saving to a Directory file seems to work ok.
Not totally sure that this is what you were talking about but i hope it helps

Geoff
acmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:39am
Regarding storing them on the mv box - I should have phrased it that better - I'd do that if it was possible when designing the form to refer to that location, and not have to download the images when a user logs in.
CALIDORE View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALIDORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 3:44am
I've got the same problem and ideally I want to store the icons locally.

After amendments I want to run a windows job that will copy the icon master folder (on the server) across the network to all users' local icon folder. Problem is I'm no windows expert and I'm not sure how to do this.

I'll have to do some research but if I get it working I'll pass it on.

Is this the way you were thinking?
KMW
acmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:34am
Putting the files onto everyones C drive would be a solution and there's three ways I can think of doing it:

To do it as an official process would require submitting a work request to a different department, have them check everything which was being done, have meetings, reports, budget requirements, and possibly do it a couple of months later. Then do the whole same process for the next change we want to make. So much of the process would be out of our hands that we'd probably not want to even try this.

Or we could change the login process on our system so that it tries to FT the icons from C into a throw-away location on the MV box, if that succeeds then carry on with the regular login, but if it fails then FT them from the MV box to the C drive. That's doable, though I'd have to see what the overhead with the FT would be - if it's a second delay when someone login in then it's bearable.

The third method is something we've just thought of - use lucky programmers get the fat client version, while our users have the Internet Edition - possibly there's some way of including our icons within the .cab files and extracting them when that version is first installed. Though this would probably suffer the same delays as the first method above.

CALIDORE View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALIDORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:10am
I'm pretty sure this can be done by using windows synchronization of offline files. I think you just need to set this up once on each client by mapping a network folder containing the icons and when the user logs on or off, or it can be scheduled, windows does the rest, keeping all users synchronised with the same icon folder.
KMW
time View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 8:48am
I have a relatively simple solution, for jBase, that I will be happy to post to the code samples if anyone has an interest.
acmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 6:16am
Originally posted by time time wrote:

I have a relatively simple solution, for jBase, that I will be happy to post to the code samples if anyone has an interest.

I'd certainly like to see this, it may not be something I could use but it could suggest other methods.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic