Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Connectivity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedSerial Port Connection Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial Port Connection Issue
    Posted: February 10 2015 at 7:52am
We are using the Accuterm 7 on a windows 7 64 bit computer and connection is through serial port on the computers and the serial ports are either via USB adapter or installing serial ports in the PCI E+. Now everything works perfect other than if you hit any key or enter button on the key board the connection drops and you have to hit the reset connection button every time after you hit a key. I have tried all sorts of settings and also tried many different drivers. 64 bit is the major issue. We have made this work with 32 bit but one computer is always different than another and it take a different adapter with a different driver every time. I have only been able to make one 64 bit computer work so far and cannot use of those setting to make it work on any other computer. Serial port is the only way we can go as our server can only be accessed this way. There has got to be something I am missing that will make this work as everything else works fine other than a keystroke drops the connection. What am I missing?
Matt Hoppman
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 9:21am
Hi Matt -

I would have to say it has to be a hardware / driver issue. I have on-board serial ports on my PC and they work perfectly running Windows 7 64-bit. You might try a free or demo version of another serial-port enabled terminal emulator to see if it has similar issues. If so, then this clearly points to the hardware / drivers.

Thanks,

Pete
mhoppman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 3:08am
Do you happen to know what serial ports you are running and maybe I can try those with their software. I seem as if I am up against a wall with this all the time
Matt Hoppman
mhoppman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:30am
Pete,
I tried the ZOC Terminal Emulation and I had no issues. all keys are working accordingly.
Matt Hoppman
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 6:02am
Hi Matt -

The serial port on my development machine is built into the motherboard (Asus P6T) and I don't know what chipset is being used. I did a quick test of a USB serial port adapter cable that I have and it also works fine on my Windows 7 64 bit development machine. The cable brand is Sarbent, and the chipset is FTDI. I'm use other manufacturers use the same FTDI chipset. I think I also have USB serial adapter cable which uses the Prolific chipset but I cannot locate it to see if it will work in Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks,

Pete
mhoppman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhoppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 3:18am
Pete,

I tried the Sarbent adapter and it works right off the bat. I don't know why the other 5 kinds I tried would not work but this one did. thanks for the help.
Matt Hoppman
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 3:29am
Hi Matt -

Glad you found an adapter that works now. These USB-Serial adapters seem to be very inconsistent.

Thanks,

Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic