Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Scripting & Automation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedHow To Automate AccuTerm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp2accu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Automate AccuTerm?
    Posted: November 01 2012 at 4:50am
I've got a Windows application that is very well used, but it is not connected with our AccuTerm data.

I've looked into the tutorials and found that I can perform screen captures and save the information to the clipboard, but I have to be physically logged into AccuTerm and sitting in front of a keyboard to make this happen.

Is there a way to make DLL or ActiveX calls to AccuTerm to tell it to capture the data?

I've looked at the tutorials and the programmer's guide, but they seem to be focused on developing the interface and not so much on "data mining" in AccuTerm.

FYI: I am very experienced at developing Windows applications, but I know very little about AccuTerm.
~Joe
palinder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 5:43am
Hello jp2accu:

What is the backend database that accuterm "connects" to?  Accuterm is not a database.  It's merely a terminal emulator.  If the backend database is multi-value (ie jBase, reality, universe, etc.) i should be able to help you out.  If you wish, you can contact me directly at 513-563-2800.  My name is Pat Linder. 
jp2accu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp2accu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 8:37am
Hi Pat.

I work in our Texas facilities IT department, while the actual AccuTerm database is controlled by our Oklahoma IT department. They feel certain that we are idiots, so we can only "view" their data across the SSH connection.

That said, do not know what database they are using. Looking at their past database applications, though, I would guess it uses MS Access. We use SQL Server here.

Some of the guys here have written decent scripts that pull values from the screen, then use Excel scripts to push those values into Excel files.

I'd like to find a way to connect my Application to AccuTerm using an SDK or DLL call to automate the capture and pull the data either from the memory steam (clipboard) or a temporary text file.
~Joe
palinder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 8:43am
Again, they have to be using some sort of database, which i doubt is MS Access.  It's most likely a database that needs to be presented with a character-based terminal emulator, such as accuterm (or powerterm, or basic telnet, etc etc. etc.).  Can you ask your contacts what type of database they're connecting to with Accuterm?  if they're using a "multi-valued" database such as jbase, universe, reality, pick, advanced pick, etc. i should be able to be of help to you.  Also, what is the underlying O/S of the database in question (windows/*nix, etc)?
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 10:43am
Hi JP -

If you want to try to drive AccuTerm from a C# app, you can use AccuTerm's automation (OLE) interface. Open AccuTerm help contents, and check out the "AccuTerm 7 Automation" chapter, Object Reference. You can create an ACCUTERM object using COM Interop in C#, then have the ACCUTERM object create (open) a Session object. The Session object has lots of methods & properties, so you can send data to it as if you were typing it from the keyboard and wait for responses that it receives from the server. You might be able to use the macro recorder in AccuTerm to see how it all works, then use the recorded macro (VBA) as a guide to how to do it in C#.

Thanks,

Pete
jp2accu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp2accu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 4:23am
Update: Though none of the answers here directly solved my problem with connecting to AccuTerm through Visual Studio, I was able to use this and send the link up to our Tulsa office, and I was contacted that day with information on how to establish the connection.

So, even though no one here told me how to get my connection setup, the replies were informative enough to get me connected.

Thanks to both palinder and PSchellenbach for the help! The AccuTerm 7 Automation Chapter and the info provided by our Tulsa office got me connected.
~Joe
AriesUser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AriesUser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:12am
Hi Joe! So how did you connect to AccuTerm through Visual Studio specifically? I need to do the same thing and it would be helpful to hear how you went about it.

Thanks
AriesUser
Mukesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mukesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 1:39pm
I am also trying the same. Can someone throw some light on how they went about it ?
Mukesh
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 6:11pm
Hi Mukesh -

Are you trying to automate the AccuTerm application? You should be able to import the type library 'atwin71.tlb' into your .NET project, then use System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetActiveObject("atwin71.accuterm") to get a reference to a running instance of AccuTerm. The AccuTerm object has a Sessions property that returns a collection of Session objects, etc.

Thanks,

Pete

rpatwari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpatwari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 3:33pm
Hello Pat Linder,
Fuze

calling...

Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
< ="fuze-for-browser-extension-notification__cancel-" -i18next="FUZELOC_generic_cancel">Cancel< ="fuze-for-browser-extension-notification__confirm-" -i18next="FUZELOC_generic_retry">Retry
I am trying  to call Universe Commands from Accuterm as part of the Macro and at a certain point it is failing due to insufficient memory. But overall, how can i call Universe commands from Macro and also how can i integrate with power shell.

SAMPLE:
---------

Sub MACROS4
'<Macro = MACROS3>
'<Desc = recorded 9/17/2019 3:24:45 PM>
On Error Resume Next
Sessions(0).Activate
With Sessions.Add( , , 1)
AccuTerm.PhoneBookName = "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Asent\atwin70\Phone.dat"
AccuTerm.TitleFormat = 4
With .Settings
.BackgroundPictureMode = 0
.BackgroundTransparency = 0
.Device = 5
.FontName = "DejaVu Sans Mono"
.HistoryRows = 200
.HostName = "10.xx.xx.xx"
.HostPort = "0"
.ScrollMode = 1
.TermType = 4
.Apply
End With
.WaitFor 0, 30, "login: "
.Output "root" & ChrW$(13)
.WaitFor 0, 3, "password: "
.Output "xxxxxxxxx" & ChrW$(13)
.WaitFor 0, 3, "stg ~]# "
.Output "cd /xx/xxxx/uv" & ChrW$(13)
.WaitFor 0, 2, "uv]# "
.Output "bin/uv" & ChrW$(13)
.WaitFor 0, 3, "Y  "
.Output ChrW$(27)
.WaitFor 0, 4, ">"
.Output "who" & ChrW$(13)

and also there are some GUI popups where i  need to select all the checkboxes and upadte the path etc. As soon as pop up comes macro is not recording and it is disconnecting. 

Is there any other process i can call from shell script otherwise. Please help me how can i automate this process. 

Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic