Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > GUI Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedNew Features Wish List, Next GUI Version

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Moderator -- GUI Development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Features Wish List, Next GUI Version
    Posted: April 04 2004 at 4:11am

Attention Fellow GUI Developers:

This "wish list" of new features for AccuTerm GUI has been updated as of May 2010.  All of the items which were added to AccuTerm 7 GUI have been moved to a new topic. The remaining items, and any ones added by our developers, have not yet been implemented, and would be candidates for future releases.

I know there are a number of potential enhancements that I would like, and I'm sure there are some that you could suggest as well. After reviewing the suggested enhancements please post your suggestions, one enhancement per post to this topic.

Thanks for your input, I know we can all work together to improve this wonderful development tool.

Thanks,

Deech & Pete

PatrickL View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 1:44am
Change GUIARGS to return 0 in GCOL and GROW for
controls that do not have columns or rows. This
would allow more generic use of the ATGUIGETPROP
and ATGUISETPROP controls. I require the following
in all my processes to force this action now.
   IF TRIM(GROW)="" THEN
      GCOL=0;GROW=0
   END
The down side is this could break compatability
but would save a great deal of code. Is anyone
using GCOL or GROW for non-numeric values?

Patrick
PatrickL View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 12:13am
For ease of use, it would be great if the code generator inserted code that gets the value of the control GPVALUE
I know you have the gosubs already, if the sub call
retrieved the value of the control it would save coding.

This is especially true of List, Combo and Grid controls
and also on the validate event of and Text Control.

Also in the generated code for ATGUIWAITEVENT, setting the variables for GCOL & GROW would save a step. These would also be used to get the GPVALUE for the controls above. I
know this is a pure laziness issue, but developers are always looking for an easier way.

Thanks, Patrick
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 4:17am
Hi Patrick -

Sometimes the value is already there, just packed in the GUIARGS variable. The ATGUIWAITEVENT and ATGUICHECKEVENT return GUIARGS, which for some events (like GEVALIDATE) contains the new value, and sometimes the col and row values. Check the documentation for each control to see what useful information is returned already, and for which events.

The reason for not automatically setting up Value, Col and Row variables is the extra overhead in the call(s) to ATGUIGETPROP.

Thanks,

Peter
Deech View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 6:37pm
New Feature: The ability to create MDI child forms in GED under the Mutiple Application Model.

Description: Currently in Accuterm GUI Development environment there is an ability to create MDI applications. However, you cannot directly create a child form for an MDI Application under the Multi-Application model with out creating all projects with the same application name and then altering the MDI child form at run-time to allow the window to be mangaged by an MDI Parent window.

Benefit: Simplifying the creation of Multiple Application Model MDI applications will make Accuterm GUI environment applications appear and behave more like regular windows applications. Allowing the developer to create child windows from GED will make MDI application development faster and easier.

Impact: High

Don't know how I could have left that one out. Took Peter and I a while to figure out how it could be done in the present environment.

Update:

This maybe able to be addressed by adding an additional set of code templates? One that removes the application level and does things on the form level instead?
Accuterm GUI--Changing the Face of MV Development!!
Deech View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 2:48am
New Feature: New Combo Box Property - Display Value

Description: Currently in combox properties on the List properties tab there is a check box called data column. When this option is checked, the edit control gets the value of that list column. I would like a new property called Display column that would cause the value of the edit control to be displayed as the selected column. However, the GPVALUE property of the control when retreived by ATGUIGETPROP should be the value contained in Data column field.

Benefit: Allow for Combox Boxes to behave more like VB combo boxes. VB Controls have a List Property which is the display and ItemData property which are the related values of the data.   This will allow a text code to diplayed when the item selected especially for defaulted control values
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 6:00am
Hi Deech -

If you need a special "display column" in a combo box, perhaps using a dropdown list would be a better solution. The Value property will return the index of the selected item, and the "data column" would be the "display column". Just a thought...

Thanks,

Pete
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 12:33pm
Hi Edith -

I will look at this for the next version. The problem I forsee is that the GUI designer and the program editor are separate programs. The designer knows how to control the editor, but not vice-versa, so the editor does not have a clean way to ask the designer what the status of the code is. I may be able to add some kind of indicator on the designer toolbar to indicate that the code needs updating.

Thanks,

Pete

Deech View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2004 at 4:54pm
New Feature: GED Control Multi-select

Description: The ability to select and manipulate multiple controls on a form in the GUI Designer. Basically, this would allow the user to select a bunch of controls and move them as a group. If the controls are all of the same type, they should be able to set any property of these control and have it affect all selected controls. If multiple controls types are selected only properties common to all selected controls types would be available for update.

Recommendation: Take a look at VB form designer.

Benefit: Allow more efficient form maintenance. Making it easer to arrage related controls as one unit.

Impact: High
Deech View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2004 at 5:08pm
Recommendation:

Hi Pete,

As to the WED/GED code editor/update issues, I would suggest that GED have its own internal editor. Now don't get me wrong, I love WED and use it to edit both my GUI programs and my regular TUI (Terminal User Interface) programs as well but if there are issues getting them to communicate correctly, leave WED standalone and add an integrated editor to GED. You should still be able to edit GUI code with WED of course but the internal editor would be very much controlled by the form.

This gives me another idea. You could look at from the other side of the problem, and make WED read the form and check the code on its own. This might require that you make a temporary copy of the form on the either the client or the host after every change so WED could "see" what has been done to the form by GED.

Well just some thoughts on an intersting problem. Now that I think about it an internal editor for GED would be cleaner way to go and would provide a more integrated development environment.

Deech
bneylon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneylon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2004 at 2:56am
I would like to see stored macros in the WED editor. Kinda like in UniData's AE.
For indstance:
=E C/EXTRACT(//`C/,/</`C/,0,0)/>`C/,0)/>`C/<1>//
This takes a line like:
IF EXTRACT(ACRO.REC(1),1,I,0) EQ '' THEN SWA=1; GO 120
and changes it to
IF ACRO.REC(1)<1,I> EQ '' THEN SWA=1; GO 120

ediegray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ediegray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 6:16am
Hi Pete,

Enhance the GUI engine to support more than one MDI so that mainevent processing can process more than one MDI.

thanks,
edith
rkgozar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkgozar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 1:06am
WED editor feature: light gray line at column 80

Just a convenience feature to show a faint line at column 80 for those of us wanting to format our code and comments so they don't wrap when displayed on dumb terminals.
MartyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 7:05am
Please add a property for tab order or a way to set the tab order on the form. It seems to order it in the order you add the controls to the form. Unfortunately sometimes the controls aren't added in the propper order.

Thank You
Marty
MartyG
Deech View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 7:51am
New Feature:

Description: In GUI Designer, when adding a new control they always appear at the top right corner of the form, even if you use a right click on the form to add the control.   Add a feauture that allows the placment of the control to occurr where the user right-clicked on the form.

This would make the GUI Designer a much easier tools to use.

Thanks,

Deech
rkgozar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkgozar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2004 at 7:00am
New feature: form move event -- Whenever the user moves a form, fire a MOVE event.
radtech View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2004 at 1:09am
New Feature: Upper Case Font Option

MSWord has a check box within it's font properties called 'All Caps'. I think this option would be a valuable enhancement to the font properties of the AccuTerm GUI(similar to bold and italics).

Better still, would be an application option to 'Convert all text to uppercase'(similar to 'Enter same as Tab').

Thanks-Joe (Radtech)
bneylon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneylon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 7:05am
I would like an enhancement in the WED editor. Many times when I am reviewing a program I will click on the gosub label to look at the associated subroutine. I would like an easy way to backup to where I had been before I branched away. Currently I write down the line number prior to clicking on the label. If I forget....

Thanks,
Bruce
patrickp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 4:25pm
Tray Icon!!

I would love to have the ability to create a tray icon. This would be very helpful especially when we are hiding windows from the user.
Patrick Payne

Sierra Pacific Mortgage
hemiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 6:59am
I'm sure this is huge, but I'd like to be able to use the VBA script environment inside a GUI application. For instance, when I'm building a large 'excel' style grid control which does quite a bit of internal calculation and summation, I'd like to be able to handle that within a scripted routine rather than transfering back to the server for simple math.
Harold E Miller III (Trey)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic