Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > File Transfer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum Lockedexcel column format

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: excel column format
    Posted: January 20 2006 at 2:31am
Is there a way to force a column to text during a download to excel.

We commonly use the bridge to convert information, but this process need be run from a phantom in our night-time-processor.

We have a column of part numbers. These are leters and/or numbers. The numbers may have decimals in them. The download process will try to format these as "numbers" including doing the decimal conversion.

I need the column to be text all the time. I have put the "'" (single quote char(39)) in front of the value before I dump it down. This works, except excel leaves this in the resulting value. SO, this does not work like typing it in Excel.

Any ideas ? I can't really open the excel sheet during the process.
jtillia View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 3:20am
By the way, we also want a part number to show up as

and not 123456

jtillia View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 3:36am
we have found one way to do this. The data that we move down looks like:

rec<-1> = '=UPPER("':part.nbr:'")'

I guess because we call a "text" function the the value, it then considers it a "text" string.

This also appears to work fine, if you do a "save as" from excel to a TXT file (tab delimetted). We move our files around and use the data in other systems.
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:41am
In Excel you can format a cell or an entire column as text. Formatting it as text keeps Excel from trying to convert the value to a number. All you would need to do is create a blank worksheet with the column formatted as text then load the data into it like normal.
Mike Gross View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:43am
Jessie or Anyone,

On this same subject we are sending data to EXCEL using FTD. Do you know of a way to format the cell of each field based on the data. For example, if the data is MR2 in pick we could fromat the cell as currency and right justified. Now the user receives the data and must format the cell in Excel by highlighting the cell, right click on format cell ect. ect..

Thanks

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic