Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Installation & Setup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedNetwork timed out error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb0217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Network timed out error
    Posted: April 13 2005 at 5:20pm
   Since installing windows xp sp2, I can connect through my VPN, but when I try to connect to accuterm, it comes up gray, about 1 or 2 minutes later I get a "network timed out" message and then the blue screen comes up with no prompt.
   I read about a MS fix for networking, KB884020. I tried to install to see if was would fix the problem, but it will not completely install and then makes my internet connection completely stop working.
   What do I need to do to get accuterm back up and running?
tb0217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb0217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 1:29am
   I wanted to add further information. I connect through accuterm to a telnet from my home office for entering trucking loads. The central office IT department was stumped as to why I cannot connect and I cannot ping the address. We disabled firewalls and still no success. I am about 4 days behind now in entering my loads and billing. I cannot access for mileage or carrier codes and information. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We use accuterm 2000.
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 4:48am
Hi -

I have heard of some of the internet security products like McAfee and Norton causing this kind of problem. Sometimes disabling the program does not fix the problem - uninstalling is necessary.

Thanks,

Pete
tb0217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb0217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 9:37am
I always had McAfee and it always worked fine, it was only after service pack 2 was installed that it stopped working. I cannot delete service pack 2 in add/remove programs, but firewalls are disabled. I called dell for help, who told me to contact the program creators..which would be here. I am in my second week of no connection and cannot seem to get help anywhere. Starting to think I will never be able to get back on. Can I be the only person on the planet with this problem??
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 11:29am
Hi -

Have you tried uninstalling McAfee? I suspect that McAffee firewall and Windows Firewall are in conflict with each other, causing this problem. As mentioned before, disabling and uninstalling are not the same.

If this does not work, try connecting using Microsoft Telnet, from a Command Prompt. Just type telnet, followed by a space and the IP address of the host and press <ENTER>. If you cannot connect using Telnet as well as AccuTerm, there is something wrong with the network configuration on your PC. You might need to reinstall Windows to get it back.

Thanks,

Pete
dshie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 3:37am

I'm having exactly the same issue, with what looks to be a very similar system.

We have McAfee as well, but no firewall with that.

I use vpn, then attempt to connect to the server and it can not connect via accuterm telnet.  When i disable the win firewall it can connect.  However i should be able to put in a list of exceptions in order to make it work.  The non-default port and standard ports being used, as well as adding the program to allow pass-through (on the win firewall).  However, despite allowing 23 and the non-default ports being used (and the program) in win firewall exceptions list, it still fails.  That says to me that something needs to be added to the exceptions list that i haven't already added.  So, what i really need is a list of what needs to be allowed through in order to connect with accuterm.  What ports does accuterm use?  Telnet i would assume would be 23 unless otherwise set, but other then that i don't know what all it uses (if any).
Accuterm 2000
McAfee 8.0 ent + spyware mod (no firewall)
Win XP SP2 (win firewall en)
Cisco VPN 3.6.6(zone labs firewall built in and used when connected)
dshie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 4:21am
Got it.

This works now with win firewalled en.

I opened up:
udp: 1189, 1190, 1191, 500, 62515, 8069
tcp: 1194, 2020, 22, 23, 8069

As well as adding my version of vpn and the accuterm client to the firewall list.

To get to this point i opened the firewall up and turned on the log file.  I then connected to vpn and opened accuterm.  The ports it attempted to connect through were: udp: 1189, 1190, 1191, 500, 62515 and tcp: 1194.

The one marked as dropped was 62515.
Accuterm 2000
McAfee 8.0 ent + spyware mod (no firewall)
Win XP SP2 (win firewall en)
Cisco VPN 3.6.6(zone labs firewall built in and used when connected)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 5:46am
Hi dshie -

The only ports AccuTerm uses itself are 22 (ssh) or 23 (telnet), unless you enter a different port number in the Port field of the Connection tab. The other ports must be related to the vpn you are using.

Thanks,

Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic