Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Connectivity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedUniverse Device Licensing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universe Device Licensing
    Posted: September 29 2015 at 2:29pm
I'm embarrassed to be asking this but where are the options to enable Universe device licensing in AccuTerm 7.1c? The manual says they're under the advanced options of the connection settings but they're not there and I've been unable to find them anywhere else.
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 2:34pm
Never mind. Id found it. I was looking at the SSH and telnet settings not the main "connection" settings.
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 3:47pm
I managed to find the license sharing option. The only problem is, it doesn't seem to be working.

After much searching on Google, I found that the best way to determine the number if licenses in use is to use the Linux shell command "uvlictool". Using uvlictool, I found that each login is using a license. It doesn't seem to be affected by the device licensing option.

I'm running AccuTerm 7.1c and connecting to a Redhat Linux box running 5.5. That's running Universe 10.3.3.
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 4:09pm
Hi Joe -

Just to ask the obvious: what command are you using to launch Universe? For device licensing you need to use 'uvdls', not 'uv'. If you are using 'uvdls', then you might need to install the debugging version of AccuTerm and watch the log to see if the device license handshake is sent from Universe to AccuTerm, and a response sent back to Universe.

Thanks,

Pete

jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 10:38am
It doesn't hurt to ask the obvious. Surprisingly, I've never set up or used the device licensing. No one else here at Bar-S knew about it. I guess that's not that surprising since when I started here, AccuTerm didn't exist and through our various Pick to Unix to Redhat conversions it never came up.

If you've got the time, there might be some more obvious answers to some issues I'm having.

I've tried starting Universe with the uvdls command. It locks up the terminal and I have to reset it to get it working again. I've tried it with the option to send the LF character. It behaves the same way if it's set or not. I've been completely closing the session and re-opening it with the different options but it still doesn't want to work for me.

The license sharing also doesn't work even with the uvdls command. I'm using one license for every session that's logged in.

What exactly is it doing to share the licenses? If I knew that, I might be able to trace down the issues I'm having.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 10:59am
Hi Joe -

The keyboard is locking because the device license handshake includes the EOT control character (CHAR(4)), which is the "lock keyboard" command for Viewpoint terminals. You need to somehow get Universe to send CHAR(2) to unlock the keyboard before the first Universe prompt. Or you can disable the keyboard lock function by entering "VPLK3" in the custom code box during installation of AccuTerm.

Are you sure your Universe license supports device licensing? If you are using the uvdls command to start Universe, and you have device licensing enable in AccuTerm, then all the other magic happens in Universe and you need to check with Rocket.

As a last step, try installing the debugging version of AccuTerm, select atcomm71 from the program list, and on the atcomm71 tab select "device licensing" and watch the negotiation in the log window when you run the uvdls command.

You can use Tools->Reset->Terminal to unlock the keyboard while working on this.

Thanks,

Pete

jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:19am
I installed the debug version. I don't understand "select atcomm71 from the program list". I don't see any atcomm71.exe file and I'm not seeing "program list" on any of the menus.

Pretend I don't know what I'm doing (to state the obvious).
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:29am
After installing the debug version, there will be an "AccuTerm 7 Debug Log" program in the start menu. When you run the debug log program, a tabbed dialog will let you choose which programs to monitor. Once you select a program, a tab corresponding to the select program will appear. You can select the events to monitor on each program's tab.

jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:44am
Ok, I got it working. My mistake was installing the debug version in portable mode so it didn't add anything to the start menu. I did that because I didn't want a permanent install of the "debug" version.

I installed it normally and set it up to log the license stuff. It got nothing. I guess we don't have the right kind of license for Universe. I'll try contacting Rocket. Of the two people here who have ever talked to them, one has left and the other is unavailable at the moment.

Thanks for your help Pete!
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 10:15am
We finally purchased the extra device licensing for U2 but I'm running into the problem where using 'uvdls' locks the keyboard. As part of the "negotiation" it's sending a char(4) which tells the Viewpoint emulation to lock the keyboard. Short of changing to a different terminal type, is there a workaround for this? I thought that maybe I could modify the login message that Universe displays to include the keyboard unlock code, char(14), but I couldn't find where that message is stored.
Shrek59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 1:08am
Try disabling the "initial option negotiation" (Tools > Settings > Connection > Telnet > Show advanced options) and then setting your term type using a TERM statement in the UV.LOGIN paragraph.

Cheers,

Brian
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the help Brian. That sounds like it might work except that we have a bunch of scan guns that login that use a different term type. If I set the term type in UV.LOGIN they'll be affected.

I could get around that by checking to see if AccuTerm is what I'm connected to but to do that I'd have to send a query to the terminal and wait for a response back or a timeout. That's something don't want to to to the scan guns.

Thanks again though!
jgold View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 4:01pm
I think I've got things finally working. The problem is that the uvdls negotiation sends a code that the Adds Viewpoint terminal interprets as a keyboard lock command. I had tried to get around this by running a little program in the UV.LOGIN proc that just sends the command to unlock the keyboard.

That worked up to a point. The next problem I ran into was that when a user was running an AccuTerm session and didn't have the device license option set, the uvdls license negotiation would get hung up at a point where it never executes UV.LOGIN so the keyboard unlock command wouldn't get set and the user would stay locked up.

My solution is to run a little python program that turns on the AccuTerm device licensing *before* executing uvdls. Here's the python program;

import os
if os.environ.get('TERM','') == 'wy50-vp':
    atmacro = [
        "if ActiveSession.Settings.DeviceLicenseMode <> 3 Then",
        "ActiveSession.Settings.DeviceLicenseMode = 3",
        "ActiveSession.Settings.Apply",
        "ActiveSession.Save",
        "End If",
        ""
    ]
    print chr(27) + chr(2) + 'P' + chr(25).join(atmacro) + chr(13);

Indentation is important in Python. The above coded is indented with four spaces for each indent level. If you copy and paste it, make sure you keep the spaces or it won't work.

I stored the above program in our AccuTerm folder at;

/accts/mgt/accuterm/setdevicelicense.py

On our system, python is in the /usr/bin folder so we just needed to add this command to the user's profile before the uvdls command;

/usr/bin/python /accts/mgt/accuterm/setdevicelicense.py

I used the fully qualified pathnames for clarity.

That's it. Now when the users login, the AccuTerm device license settings are set correctly and saved. I'm still sending the keyboard unlock command in the UV.LOGIN item. It may not always be needed but it doesn't hurt to have it in there.
DonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:34pm
Hello Peter,

In your post you say I can enter VPLK3 when installing Accuterm to solve a problem with Universe device licensing and viewpoint emulation.
Can this be added once Accuterm is installed?
What are the side effects of disabling the lock function?

Thanks,
Don Robinson
Abest/Shebesta
513-943-4426
513-706-6149

Certified Universe Developer and Administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 3:31pm
Hi Don -

When you use the custom feature code VPLK3 during installation, an entry is made the atwin71.ini file to disable the Viewpoint keyboard lock/unlock control codes. Normally, when using Viewpoint A2 Enhanced emulation, the keyboard is locked when the host sends CHAR(4) and unlocked when the host sends CHAR(2). The side effect is that these two control commands are disabled. You can manually modify the atwin71.ini file if you do not want to reinstall AccuTerm. The setting goes in the [Custom] section, like:

[Custom]
DisableVPKbdLock=1

Thanks,

Pete

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic