Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > File Transfer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedAccuterm & Print Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzitcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accuterm & Print Wizard
    Posted: June 12 2015 at 12:21pm
I'm having an issue trying to get PrintWizard to run under Accuterm.  The intent is to have Print Wizard convert a text file, saved as PO.TXT on the C: drive of SERVER and then e-mail it to a supplier.  Here is where I am...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rasmussen Software, Inc\Print Wizard 4.1\Printwiz.exe" runs at a command prompt on the server.  Pops up an error window "no file specified..." as it should since no file was specified.

TEST PROGRAM
    PRINT @(-1) ; PROMPT ""
    ESC = CHAR(27)
    STX = CHAR(02)
    CR = CHAR(13)
***    CMD = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rasmussen Software, Inc\Print Wizard 4.1\Printwiz.exe"
    CMD = "PRINTWIZ.EXE"
    PRINT ESC:STX:'>':CMD:CR:
    PRINT ESC:STX:'I':
    INPUT JUNK
    STOP

Runs properly in Accuterm session on server (brings up error window as above).  When run on other terminals, opens and closes a window too quickly to read.  Not opening PrintWizard.

When I switch to the full path name for CMD, Windows Explorer opens to the Program Files folder, whether I run it on the server or other terminals.  Not opening PrintWizard

What am I missing???  All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc
Shrek59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 8:22pm
Hi,

This sounds like a client/server issue. Specifically, where do you have PrintWizard installed?

The command you are using runs a program on the CLIENT computer. If you have PrintWizard installed on the SERVER, then the command you are running will not find PW. It runs on the server OK because in that instance, the server is the client.

To use the command you are using, you need PW installed on every client that is going to run this command ... and even then, you may have difficulties accessing the text on the server - you will be subject to standard sharing issues - can you "see" the file from a DOS shell on the client?

If this should always run on the SERVER, then use EXECUTE "sh command", or OS.EXECUTE command, or whatever the correct syntax is for your system.

HTH,

Brian
mzitcer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzitcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 3:20pm
Brian,

Thanks for the response.

This program could be run from a number of clients.  In the interest of simplicity, would referencing the PrintWizard location with the full file path, ie. \\server\x:\prog...., solve the access issue, assuming that x on the server was a shared drive?

By "use EXECUTE "sh command" do I assume correctly that you mean prefixing the existing command with CHAR(255):'s':?  If so, why does the shelltype affect how the program path is interpreted?

Marc

Shrek59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 3:40am
Hi Marc,

I don't use PrintWizard so I can't comment on how to run PW specifically. I also don't know whether you need some interaction with PW other than starting the program, but from what I do know about PW is that you can script it.

Therefore, what I would try to do is get your system (you haven't told us which mv system you are using) to write a script with the commands for PW, and then execute PW with the script. Beware that if you execute a command on the server, then any window will appear on the server console - not on the client system - so you really don't want interactivity. Or, if you DO want interactivity, then you need to go back to client execution of an executable visible to the client through the network.

EXECUTE is an mv BASIC statement that lets you execute a TCL command from within BASIC.

If you want to run an O/S level command (on the server), then you need to shell out from your mv environment. Some mv systems use the TCL level verb "sh" to do this (or ! ). UniVerse uses the command "DOS". You need to substitute the command relevant to your system.

So, to run an O/S level command from within BASIC, you need to EXECUTE the shell command - hence:  EXECUTE "sh o/s-command", or in UniVerse: EXECUTE "DOS /c o/s-command"

OR: some mv systems have a BASIC statement that lets you run an o/s level command directly - hence: OS.EXECUTE "o/s-command".

Read your documentation, and write short programs to try things!

Cheers,

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic