Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Connectivity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum Lockedtelnet disconnects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ametz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: telnet disconnects
    Posted: April 06 2010 at 5:46am
I currently have about 100 users who telnet to my AIX (4.3) box via AccuTerm 2K, and a large majority have
experienced having their session terminated from time to
time. I've read some posts regarding the use of setting
the "keepalive" parameter on the telnet options tab, but
this does not seem to have any effect on these disconnects. Is the problem with my AIX box, AccuTerm, or
router settings? Has anyone had and solved this issue?
This happens not only during inactive times, but when users are actively working!!
Thanks, AL
mlucas67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlucas67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 2:37am
Check the router.  Make sure all routes and subnet masks match.  I have seen this be an issue.  An old route that needs to be deleted causes a packet to go off into the ether.  Some routers work intermittently when the subnet masks are incorrect.
dthiot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 3:05am
Al,

Do you users access the AIX box through a router meaning that they are outside of the local network of the AIX box?  If yes, is the router also a firewall?  A summary of the network topology would be very helpful in this discussion.  Also, do all the users loose connectivity simultaneously or is it individual users?  This can also be attributed to issues in a switch.

Dick
ametz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ametz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 7:40am
I have problems with both local and remote users. Yes router is my firewall. No, all users are not disconnected simultaneously, it appears very random to me. The majority of my users NEVER get disconnected. For the locals, I tried changing ports on my switches, and even tried running new cat-5 cables. Not sure what to test on the remotes.
toddbhubbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddbhubbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:34am
Are your users ability to stay logged in controlled by an app you're telentting to - some ERP package perhaps? Usually the term software that AccuTerm connects to holds the keys when it comes to ending sessions after a certain period of time passes.
jemesright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jemesright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 12:53am
For some reason, my previous posts are not showing up on this thread. I tried three times.

That's not what I'm looking for. That only works if I'm have the terminal with the telnet session in front of me. Specifically, I want to use write a script that disconnects an existing telnet session. The telnet sessions do not require user names and passwords; anyone can login by telneting into a host and port number. I do not know from what host the user may be logging from. For example, a user may working be on machine M may log into host H on port P by entering "telnet H P". I may be on machine M2, but I won't know where the other host is logged from, but I do know what host and port the user is logged into because I can't connect to the host-port
I've tried using pexpect to try sending some escape characters into a telnet stream, but I can't even login to the host-port because someone else is already on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic