Rocket Software Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AccuTerm Knowledge Base (read only) > Smart User Interface
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The AccuTerm forum has moved. Go to community.rocketsoftware.com to register for the new Rocket forum.

Forum LockedESC key

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ESC key
    Posted: July 13 2004 at 12:15pm
I don't see the ESCape key referenced. Was that key omitted on purpose or just overlooked?
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 12:17pm
You are right! We did not define the ESC key as one of the detectable keyboard commands. This is intentional, but may not be feasible ultimately. Since the ESC character is used as a lead-in for other keys either we need to re-program the ESC key to send something besides ESC or we need timed input, which is not supported by all host platforms. I have given this some thought and if it is necessary to detect ESC for these routines to be useful in real-world applications, I think I will add the timed-input function to detect it. For those platforms that do not support timed input maybe just using two consecutive ESC characters would work.

Thanks,

Pete
PSchellenbach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSchellenbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 10:47am
Ok - I gave in and added support for the ESC key in the next version of the library. This makes the platform dependent code more complex because the only universal way to detect the ESC key is to use a timed input, and if another key is not received in a very short interval after the ESC key, then assume its an ESC, otherwise, its a lead-in for a multi-byte ESCAPE sequence.

Thanks,

Pete
bob@rjoslyn.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob@rjoslyn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 2:03am
Most platforms support System(14) or equivilent to indicate that there is something in the buffer. If the current character is 27 and the buffer is not empty then the contents of the buffer were supplied by the system rather than by a key stroke simply because nobody is fast enough to get his finger on the next key that soon. That isn't very scientific but it has worked ever since the IN VAR revision to AP was published. On UD it is INPUT BUFF,-1. Mark Brown says that he has had to introduce a slight delay on some platforms because the SYSTEM(14) execute before the system had generated the next two characters. YMMV
BobJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic